Please post the following information in the venues that you feel are most appropriate for public dissemination.
The Fife Lake Area Historical Society and the Fife Lake Library will once again present three free programs this summer at the Fife Lake Library at 7:00 pm.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20: Michigan State Capital: Construction, Evolution, Restoration, Renewal
Valerie Marvin, Michigan State Capital Historian and Curator, travels through nearly 150 years of Capital building design and construction history. See how our Capital was, progressed, and is today.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 18: The Birth, Rise, and Decline of Walton Junction
Join author Randy D Pearson as he discusses how Walton Junction sprung to life as a train junction in 1880 and was essentially gone by the 1920’s, but still earned the moniker of Hell during those tumultuous years. Pearson will also do a reading from his latest novel, Trac Brothers, a fictional story about two brothers who use a 19th century handcar on modern day train tracks in the Fife Lake/Walton Junction areas. (Annual Meeting precedes program.)
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15: The Architect who Designed the Fife Lake Brick School
Author Julie Schopieray will travel back in time to tell us about Traverse City resident Jens C Peterson, Northern Michigan’s first licensed architect. Mr. Peterson, who was a brick mason at the North Michigan Asylum, went on to school in Chicago to earn his degree and bring back his new modern style of architecture, which included the design of the Fife Lake brick schoolhouse.
As a point of information, The FIFE LAKE HISTORICAL MUSEUM, SCHOOLHOUSE, AND FIRE BARN have new hours : Saturday & Sundays; Memorial Day - Labor Day & July 4th, 1:00-4:00pm (FREE)
BOARD MEETINGS ARE OPEN TO PUBLIC
Schoolhouse: 3rd Monday (May – Sept), 7:00 pm
If you have any questions or need further information regarding these programs or the Historical Society please contact Noreen Broering, Program Chairman at 231-879-3940.
2018 Fife Lake Area Historical Sites’ Summer Hours:
The Fife Lake Historical Museum, Schoolhouse, and Fire Barn are open from Memorial Day through Labor Day on Fridays and Saturdays 1:00-4:00. Bring your family, friends, neighbors, and summer guests to enjoy these FREE venues. If you are interested in being a greeter, please contact Pam at 231-492-3123.
Your Membership Dues and Operations’ Donations at Work:
We are pleased to report that the final payment for the Schoolhouse has been made and that it now officially belongs to your Historical Society. To deal with the persistent battle with mildew and mold at the museum, a gas line will be installed this spring and the furnace hooked up. A thorough cleaning and decontamination of the basement is next followed by the installation of a dehumidifier. Our deepest thanks to Wayne Rowe for researching this issue and his guidance. The Village of Fife Lake also has done needed repairs to the Fire Barn.
The Forest Area Federal Credit Union awarded a grant of $3500.00 to the Fife Lake Area Historical Society to help with the painting of the Schoolhouse this Spring.
Pictured are Bob Raden: CEO of the Forest Area Federal Credit Union, Noreen Broering: Board Member, Mildred Baker; President, and Pam Wenzel, Secretary.
Fife Lake Historical Society’s Year at a Glance:
May 27, 2015: The Schoolhouse, Museum, and Fire Barn opened their doors to the 4th grade class of the Fife Lake Elementary School. The children experienced what a class in a one-room school of the 1880’s may have been like. They also had guided visits to the Museum and Fire Barn.
2015 Summer Programs: Many enjoyed our summer programs at the Library Community Room which included: History & People of the Three Fires Confederacy: Ottawa, Chippewa, Potawatomi; Reminiscences of South Town; and Looking Back at Fife Lake’s History,
July 4th: The Buffalo BBQ drew many visitors to our Historic sites and raised many dollars to help our efforts.
October 10: The Color Train from Petoskey stopped in Fife Lake and hundreds of people enjoyed the food and hospitality of our village along with visiting our historic venues and following our walking tour of Historic Plaques.
October 13: The Fife Lake Historical Society hosted members of the Area Museum Network. Tours of our historical venues were given and guests strolled our streets learning from our Historic Plaques. Dinner and viewing of the Historic Fife Lake DVD followed. Our guests were impressed by what our “little community” had to offer.
Dr. Wayne Rowe Tribute (Emeritus Professor of Oklahoma University):
Last Fall the Fife Lake Historical Society honored Wayne Rowe, a longtime Board member, for his many contributions. During his many years of dedicated service he has served in multiple roles. Although his title was Secretary, he was the key person in planning, finances, many programs, and securing volunteers for activities at the 3 historical sites. He was an inspiring source of knowledge and vision with a deep desire to involve the public in varied activities of the Historical Society. Among other contributions he made were the establishment of the high school docents program leading to scholarship grants as well as to the preparation of the annual Newsletter/Membership drive. Wayne was also honored by Friends of the Fife Lake Public Library for his contribution in establishing that organization.
Wayne, and his wife Joan who has also devoted endless hours to the Historic Society, have lived during many summer months in a historic, ancestral home on Marsh Road in Fife Lake Township. No words can communicate our thanks to Wayne and Joan for their dedication to our community and the Fife Lake Area Historical Society.
Community Service Scholarship Update:
This program is designed to provide $1000 scholarships for further education or training to Forest Area High School students in return for community service with the Historical Society. Haley McNamara and Jacob Chase are preparing to work 60 hours at our 3 historic venues for their second summer in order to qualify for the $1000 scholarships. Janay Smith and Cody Kammeraad qualified for the 2015 scholarships and are continuing their educational pursuits. Former scholarship winners include Travis Birgy, Emma Durfee, and Dani Johne. We wish all these talented young Fife Lake students much success in their chosen careers.
The Historical Society now has its Family History information available on CD’s at the Fife Lake Library (Julie at 231-879-4101). Additional research records are available at the Schoolhouse or by calling Linda at 231-631-1750. Cemetery records are also available at the Township Hall by appointment or by calling John at 231-384-2820.